Libri is an established independent publisher keen to encourage new writers.
Partner Publishing is for writers who want to see their work in the public eye. Partner Publishing provides a new author with the full support of an established publishing house. All our books are produced to the highest standard and marketed to readers across the world using our network of UK and international agents.
Partner Publishing enables us to take the risk of publishing new authors because you share the cost of publication. In return, we will work alongside you through all the stages of publication from manuscript editing to sales to ensure the best possible results. Partner Publishing does not end with publication … book sales are important to us all, so our work with you is ongoing.
We want titles that can add to Libri’s reputation – these books will feature in our catalogue, on our website and on all our routes to market alongside existing authors.
Mindful of the high standard already set by our authors, partner publishing proposals will be selected for publication on the basis of their strength as a piece of writing. All new book proposals (see below) are discussed at our editorial board who decide how things will be taken forward.
If we feel a book proposalhas potential we will offer a ‘partnership contract’ that includes a contribution, to be paid by the author, and the royalty rate that they will receive on net sales.
If you are looking to produce a book for personal reasons (for example, a family history or a record of an event), but are not looking to market this to the public then you should visit For the Record.
What We Do
We work with our authors to design, publish and market their books.
Once a book proposal is agreed by the editorial board, we will submit a draft contract to you and appoint a commissioning editor who will work with you throughout the following process:
* A STRUCTURAL EDIT – The commissioning editor will look at everything from the book’s structure to the narrative style.
* COPY-EDITING – This is designed to catch all the errors and inconsistencies in the text.
* DEVELOPING THE BOOK COVER – Our designers will work with you to produce a cover for your book– it’s one of the most important factors in encouraging customers to pick up the book.
* DESIGN & LAY-UP (TYPESETTING) – Sample lay-up designs will set out the text and illustrations. Once agreed, the manuscript is then turned into page proofs ready for printing.
GOING TO PRESS
* Proofed manuscripts are sent for printing. The size of the print run will be decided based on advance sales and market research.
SALES & MARKETING
Your book will be marketed alongside all our titles by existing authors.
* PUBLICITY – Libri works with you and the media on ‘free’ marketing, which includes reviews, features, author interviews, bookshop readings and signings. You play a key role in this stage as many sales will be generated through your existing networks and social media.
* MARKETING – Details of your book are sent to distributors to help them place your title in the marketplace. Our routes to market are NBNI, who ensure that Amazon.co.uk is serviced and updated. We also use Quantum Publishing Solutions and for Europe our sales agents are Durnells. IPG (Independent Publishers Group) are our USA and rest of the world agents. They link with Barnes and Noble, Amazon.com and many other retail chains in the States. We also use Lightning Source who deal with our print on demand (PoD) sales and market our books globally.
ROYALTIES – Royalties are payable on the net receipt of book sales. The rates for royalties will vary depending on the volume of sales and the level of author contribution.
You and Your Book
Publishing a book is a big enterprise. It’s important that you are clear about what you want to achieve; why you wrote it and who you hope will read it.
If you are an expert in your field, or have a passion for a cause, then there will be people who need or want the information you can provide. Your book doesn’t have to be factual; you could have a great story that could make an excellent novel or short-story.
We are happy to look at any book idea that we feel is strong enough to be published. Our commitment is to review, to advise and to work with you through the full publishing process.
All authors – new or existing – need to put a lot of effort and determination into promoting their book once it is published. We will work with you and provide help all the way through this process, but don’t underestimate the commitment required of the author.
The first step: the book proposal. This gives us information about yourself, your book and the likely readership. We ask that you submit a completed Book Proposal form along with a synopsis of your book and some sample chapters.